Topics in Avant-Garde Film (Fall 2014) University of Michigan
- Historical and theoretical studies of topics in avant-garde film and video. The class examines the cultural contexts of the firms as well as their formal innovations.
Documentary I (Fall 2014, Winter 2015) University of Michigan
- A video production class that introduces the theoretical, aesthetic and technical principles of documentary filmmaking, including storytelling, camera, sound and editing techniques.
Introduction to Media Production (Fall 2014, Winter 2015) University of Michigan
- A hands-on survey in media production introducing strategies and techniques in television, digital video, and film production and post-production.
Summer Director of Motion Picture Arts Department (2013, ’14, ’15) Interlochen Arts Camp
- Department Director & Instructor of 3 classes focusing on Digital Filmmaking as well as planning and operation of the department, including student productions and screenings.
Negotiating Rapture (Spring 2013) Interlochen Arts Academy
- Historical and theoretical exploration of a transcendental style in cinema. Using Paul Schader’s book “Transcendental Style in Film” as a starting point, students research and discuss films by Dryer, Bresson, Ozu, Brakhage, Tarkovsky and Malick among others.
Cinematography & Camera Movement (Fall 2012) Interlochen Arts Academy
- Video production class focused on developing a basic understanding of cinematography with a focus on the theoretical, aesthetic and technical uses of moving the camera.
Guest Lecture on Cinema and Landscape (Fall ‘09, Spring ‘10) University of Colorado
- Presentation and in-class lecture on cinema and Sacred Landscape as metaphor.
–Landscape Architecture: Landscape and Film – CU Denver – Instructor, Joern Langhorst.
–The Construction of Urban Landscape – CU Boulder – Instructor, Austin Allen.
Intro to Cinematography (Spring 2009 & ‘10) University of Colorado
- Introduces 16mm film production techniques and aesthetics connected with basic principles of cinematography, lighting and audio recording.
Cinema Production I (Fall 2009) University of Colorado
- Course focusing on the strategies of independent cinema production, and explores a range of film and digital technologies.
Beginning Filmmaking (Fall 2008 & ‘09) University of Colorado
- Course focusing on Super-8mm film production and editing equipment and techniques, along with analysis of pertinent films and in-class critique.
Film History 2 (Fall 2008) University of Colorado
- Recitation Instructor and Teaching Assistant – Intensive introduction to film history from late 1930’s to present. Instructor – Jennifer Peterson
Film History 1 (Spring 2007) University of Colorado
- Recitation Instructor and Teaching Assistant – Intensive introduction to film history from 1895 to 1935. Instructor – Jennifer Peterson
Introduction to Film Studies (Fall ‘06 -’08 & Spring ’07) University of Colorado
- Recitation Instructor and Teaching Assistant – Introduces the critical study of film, exploring basic theory and genres. Instructor Ernesto Acevedo-Munoz
Professional Film Experience________________________________________
• Division (2015) Feature HD Video 1st Assistant Director Director Cat Muncey
• Bert & Jenny (2015) HD Video 1st Assistant Director Dir. Andy Hiss
• Chairman of Film and New Media Program Advisory Committee (10/13 – 10/14) Traverse Bay Area Intermediate School District – Career Tech Center
• TreeFort Collective – (5/12 – Present) Founding Partner, Producer, Director, Editor, Writer.
• Our Story (2012) HD Video Director of Photography/Editor Director: Matthew Dayton
• FishSoup Films – (7/11 – 5/12) Producer, Writer, Camera Operator, Editor.
• The Symphonic House (2012) HD Video Lead Editor Director: Pete Erickson
• Independent Contractor, Film and Video
- Flight Path Creative – (12/10 – Present) –Video Production, Editing & Graphics
- Hagerty Insurance Agency, LLC – (8/11 – Present) – Video Production, Editing
• Traverse City Lip Dub (2011) HD Video Producer/ 1st Assistant Dir. Director: Max Fisher
• Lilith (2010) HD Video 1st Assistant Camera/Gaffer Director: Erin Kelly
• Document (2009) Video 1st Assistant Dir. (re-shoot) Director: Michael Brody
• The Interventionist (2009) HD Video Camera Operator Director: Patrick Selvage
• Rose Hill Drive Music Video (2008) HD Video 1st Assistant Director Director: Mendel Rabinavitch
• Generosity (2008) Video 1st Assistant Dir. (re-shoot) Director: Ray Keller
• Fever (2007) HD Video Supporting Actor Director: Adam Benn
• Charo and the Chocolate Factory (2007) Video – Cinematographer/Editor Director: Mendel Rabinavitch
• Drift (2006) 16mm 1st Assistant Director Director: Alicia Garcia
• Rocky Mountain Horror Picture Show (2005) Video – Cinematographer/Editor Director: Mendel Rabinavitch
• Kind of a Blur (2005) Video 1st Assistant Director Director: Jon Goldman
• Where We Are In Relation To Ourselves (2004) Video -Cinematographer Director: Louis Schmidt
• Kirby’s Pieces (2004) 16mm 1st Assistant Director Director: Rhune Kincaid
• 2 : 1 (2003) Video Writer/Cinematographer Director: Jim Hill
• Thanisphere (2003) 16mm 1st Assistant Director Director: Adam Benn
• Blanket (2003) 16mm 1st Assistant Director Director: Patrick Selvage
• Begin Again (2003) 16mm 1st Assistant Director Director: Aaron Warzynski
• 9 to Life (2003) 16mm Key Grip Director: Adam Renehan
• Bob Got Psychic (2003) 16mm 1st Assistant Camera Director: Dan Urrutia
• Grace Like Gravity (‘03) 16mm 1st Assistant Director Director: Mike Anderson
• Ghost Limb (2003) 16mm Gaffer Director: Pete Giokas
• Graffiti Artist (2002) 16mm 1st Assistant Director Director: Gavin McGlynn
• Sneak Attack (2002) 16mm 1st Assistant Director Director: Luke Bartel
• The Toll (2002) 16mm Film 1st Assistant Director Director: Jan Pfenninger
• 1st Assistant at the “Kage” (CU Film Studies Equipment Rental House) (2003 – ’04);
- Responsibilities required a working knowledge and maintenance of all camera, sound, grip and gaff equipment as well as rental and ordering of film/expendables.
• Thaw of the Dead (2014) HD Feature Script/Producer/Director/Editor
• Got You On My Mind (2013) HD Music Video Concept/Director/Editor
• Light and Darkness (2013) HD Video Short Concept/Effects/Editor
• Song To Cinema (2012) HD Video Short Concept/Director/Editor
• State Theatre Colorbook (2012) Animation Concept/Effects/Co-Director
• Found Episodes 1-4 (2011) HD Video Webisodes Director/Narrative Editor
• Somewhere West (2011) HD Video Feature Writer/Producer/Director/Editor
- Recipient of The Gambill Family Endowment and The J.R. Hopes Grant (2009)
- Winner – 8 Best Feature Film Awards – East Lansing Film Festival (2011) -Vegas Independent Film Festival (2011) – Student Film Festival London (2012) – Detroit Windsor International Film Festival (2012) – World Music and Independent Film Festival (2012) – BolderLife Festival (2012)
- Winner – 2 Best Cinematography Awards- Student Film Festival London (2012) – Uptown Film Festival (2012)
- Winner – Best Drama – World Music and Independent Film Festival (2012)
- Winner – Audience Choice Award – BolderLife Festival (2012)
- Winner – Silver Palm Award – Mexico International Film Festival (2012)
- Winner – Reel Rose Revelation Award – John Paul II International Film Festival (2012)
- Nominations – 27 additional Nominations
- Official Selections – 18 Festivals in 3 countries
• Sleeping River (Video Short) (2009) Writer/Director/Cinematographer/Editor
- Official Selection – Returning to Light @ Insideout Gallery (5/09) -Muskegon Film Festival (2009) – Long Island International Film Expo (2009) – Queens International Film Festival (2009) – Red Rocks Film Festival (2010) – The Traverse City Shorts Festival (2011)
• Landscape 1 (2009) Video Short Concept/Animation/Effects/Editor
• Grover, Colorado (2009) Video Short Writer/Director/Cinematographer/Editor
• Seventeen Aspen (2008) Video Short Co-Writer/Director/Cinematographer
• Finding Grover (2008) Video Short Writer/Director/Cinematographer/Editor
• A Gentle Wake from Poison (2007) 16mm Short Writer/Director/Effects/Editor
• Snow Petals (2005) 16mm Short Writer/Director/2nd Unit Camera/Editor
- Winner – Grillo Award, University of Colorado – Coggen/Gougler Award – University of Colorado – Best Student Film, Crested Butte Reelfest (2004)
- Official Selection – AllFest (2004) – Boulder Fringe Festival (2005) – Durango Independent Film Festival (2006) – East Lansing Film Festival (2006) – Eugene Film Festival (2006) – Films for Farms (2010)
• Judson’s Ladder (2002) Video Short Writer/Director/Editor
• Kino Oki (2001) 16mm Short Writer/Director/Cinematographer/Editor
- Winner – Goldfarb Award, University of Colorado
• Through Stone, Fire & Fog (2000) Super-8 Short Writer/Director/DP/Editor
- Winner – Goldfarb Award, University of Colorado
• Road Side (2000) Super-8 Short Writer/Director/Cinematographer/Editor
• Fall (1997) Full-length Play Writer/Producer/Performer
M. F. A. (Film Production) – University of Colorado, Boulder (2009)
- Recipient of – The Gambill Family Endowment / *Recipient of – The J.R. Hopes Grant
B. F. A. (Film Production) – University of Colorado, Boulder (2004) /
- Recipient of – Goldfarb Award (2000 & 2001) / *Recipient of – Grillo Award (2004) / *Recipient of – Coggen/Gougler Award (2004)
Dual B. A. (Creative Writing/Film Critical Studies) – University of Colorado, Boulder (2004)
Associates of Arts (English) – Northwestern Michigan College (1995)
- Recipient of English Student of the Year Award (1995)